Tuesday, September 20, 2011

We've Been Played!

Pardon the temporary irrelevence to our current reading. . . but I think you all might find this very interesting; It's a movie coming out this year about Shakespeare; and, from the looks of it, about a conspiracy saying he didn't write a single word. I think we're all pretty aware that he at least ripped off most of his plotlines. . . but, whether or not there's any truth to this movie, I am SO EXCITED to see it when it comes out! It looks intense!

It seems there is a lot of mystery and conspiracy surrounding Shakespeare.... here's a clip from St. Trinians 2: The Legend of Fritton's Treasure. Unfortunately it cut out one of the best parts of this scene, the character's discovery (they claimed that Shakespeare was the fictional Captain Fritton, ancestor to the protaganist [Annabelle] and a notorious pirate), but I think you'll find their "second" discovery just as interesting.
That's right, a woman wrote the Bible!!! Haha, what? 
*  *  *  *  * 

Anyway, back to the text. I know we've often discussed in class how Shakespeare always portrayed or kind of peddled very Christian values, even when writing about characters who worshipped pagan or other gods. That's why I found this passage rather interesting;

CLOWN: . . . Three-man songmen all, and very good ones; but they are most of them means [tenors] and basses, but one Puritain amongst them, and he sings psalms to hornpipes.

I looked to the reference at the bottom of the page in my text, which explained:
 
"Puritans... hornpipes except for one Puritan, who sings in the nasal, high-pitched whine of the hornpipe, or sings psalms the raucous [unpleasantly loud and harsh] music of hornpipes, (A rare Shakespearean sneer on Puritans)."

Rare Shakespearean sneer on Puritans? This leaves me with a lot of questions. . . What was Shakespeare's religion exactly, would it have been the Church of England? [Feel free to answer, I'm curious]. Historically that seems like what it would have been... if I'm not mistaken, which I very well could be. Either way though it seems like maybe he had a little bit of resentment towards the Puritans. Saying that it's a rare sneer though might mean he tried to be tolerant of them most of the time, if he did resent them.

2 comments:

  1. "Anonymous" does look kinda good. I saw a trailer for it a while ago, but it must have been a different trailer because the movie didn't impress me that much. (And earlier in class when I said that it was done by some guy like Jerry Bruckheimer but not Jerry Bruckheimer - Roland Emmerich, that's who I was thinking. The guy who did "2012" and "The Day After Tomorrow.")

    And "St. Trinians 2"? I've never even heard of "St. Trinians 1"! Is it a British movie?

    And that's interesting to think of anyone "sneering" on the Puritans. I think because of the pilgrims and early American settlers, we just assume the Puritans were heroes. They stood up for their religious beliefs! They founded America! But we never consider that maybe they were indeed a problem, to some people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it's a British, slightly inappropriate but extremely funny. (you have to watch the first one first though. This was from the sequel).

    ReplyDelete