Thursday, September 15, 2011

Exit. . . Pursued by a Bear

Ok can I just say. . . now I'm really curious as to how they're going to portray the bear (and how they'e done it in the past). . . because I just see a silly, pretty non-threatening guy in a bear-mascot type costume running after Antigonus.
Anyway.
Going back to the discussion on Tuesday, I really wonder what Leontes (and his relationship with Polixenes) was like before the events of this story took place. Yes, they act like they're all buddy-buddy in the beginning but they're just as likely putting on airs. Were they the type of friends who were always trying to one-up eachother? Does Leontes have some kind of inferiority complex? In my mind, I can see how maybe Leontes was always jealous of Polixenes; perhaps he had trouble with the ladies that his Bohemian friend never seemed to run into. It would certainly make sense then, when years later. his wife is only having a conversation with Polixenes (which he ASKED her to do) and has a meltdown because he thinks she's cheating.
 Also, Leontes always struck me as your typical drama queen, someone who looks for conflict and maybe even bores without it. Being part of a theater troupe, I think Shakespeare probably saw his fair share of divas and might be trying to warn againts that kind of behavior (More power to him). His message to them, then, I would think is that being creating conflict out of nothing, and letting it get out of hand will only bring you more suffering in the end.

9 comments:

  1. That seems to be a big topic with our group - Kelsie blogged about that too (http://shakespearethebeast.blogspot.com/2011/09/winters-tale.html). And I think you described it very eloquently (better than I was trying to do the other day in class, haha).

    And I'm also curious to see how the play on our field trip is going to portray the bear pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about your comment on Leontes; I actually dislike him so much that I started to dislike the play. But then I guess we're supposed to dislike him, and then I started to like the play again.

    I'm also looking forward to Paulina unforgiving the king...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kinda fun to hate a character though, don't you think? The one I think of is Dolores Umbridge from "Harry Potter." Except, in my opinion, that didn't pay off because I was rearing for more of a comeuppance. Some other "fun-to-hate" characters I think of are Cruella de Vil, the Wicked Witch of the West, or the Joker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your style of writing here. Ya, there is definitely something weird about their relationship, but Leontes is a weird guy. It would be interesting to make up the "white space" (things that happen behind the scenes we don't know about) for some of these plays. Jews do that a lot in their scripture, not necessarily claiming truth, but to help readers follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article is really long, but if you're interested I think you'll like it: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2081784,00.html It's about fan fiction, particularly with Harry Potter. A lot of fan fiction is basically that, filling in the blank spaces in between scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt: your comment makes me think of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" . . . which is the wierdest movie I've seen in a long time, kind of like Napolean Dynamite but period.
    and JJ
    Is that fan fiction the one about how Harry is a scientist? Because my biochemistry-major-roommate will not stop talking about that one haha.
    And also, it is fun to hate a character sometimes. My favorite thing is hating a character who is supposed to be good, like the hero on Megamind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it specifically mentions Harry Potter as a biochemist, but that sounds like a good example. One thing the article said is that there is a whole subgenre of Harry Potter fan fiction based on the line "Lie low at Lupin's for a while," instructions that Dumbledore gives to Sirius in the Goblet of Fire. A lot of fan fiction writers have interpreted that to mean there's a romantic relationship between Lupin and Sirius.

    Sorry, now you'll never think of Lupin and Sirius the same way again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I think you added that photo of Jazz Bear since the last time I saw this blog post. That wasn't there before, was it?

    ReplyDelete