Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Shakespeare, Disney, and Love (?)


Alright, I'm at a loss as to what else I could write, but in both of the plays I'm currently reading, Love's Labour's Lost and As You Like It, this has been totally bugging me!
Fernando and his pals are all ready to go woman-free, with the total "bros before hos" mentality . . . and BAM! In walks pretty girls and suddenly they're in love.





Meanwhile in the other play, Rosalind and Orlando only meet once before deciding that they are in love, and get all mopey about it.

Shakespeare darling. . .you know I love you but that's not how it does or should work.


Now obviously, not all of his plays are like that. Hamlet and The Winter's Tale seemed to portray deeper and more meaningful relationships at least. But there are a few like this [*cough*Romeo and Juliet *cough*] , and it's the one thing that I have a hard time not scoffing at.

In some ways, you really can't blame him though. Read any old fairy tale, even 50 years old or more, and how does it go? Man (usually prince) sees woman (usually princess). They both think the other one is mega-hot, and suddenly they are in love.Then they get married like what. . .a week later? I remember once looking through all of the fairy tales in my two ancient books of them, one Grimm's and the other Andersen's. . .and there was not a single tale that did not follow that pattern.

Hence the reference to Disney. Instead of railing on him myself, though, I found a related article that I think better sums up what I'm trying to say here.

http://community.sparknotes.com/2011/09/29/why-disney-princesses-are-the-worst-role-models-ever







P.S. I completely agree with the remark about the redone Rapunzel (Tangled). Heck. I pretty much agree with all of it.

3 comments:

  1. I guess maybe that's part of the fairy tale. Not only is it a fantasy to "find your true love," but a fantasy that you can skip all the games and drama and get straight to the "game over."

    (Another thing...they never show the games and drama that come after the wedding!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously. They act like that's the end of it, but from what I've seen marriage is only the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, nice pictures. I read that article and it was pretty funny. The girl made some good points about how the Disney princesses are the same girl in different bodies. I think it is portrayed like that because, from a worldly point of view, yes, certainly a worldly point of view, that is how men want their women. Stand their, look good, fulfill your role, but don't talk much.
    In the play I'm reading, Henry V, the princess seems to fit the mold so far. From what I have read, she does not talk much, and from what she does it is all proper, suggesting the life of women is defined and they don't have much choice. Interesting theme on how Shakespeare, or even the world at large defines the role of women. We should bring it up in our next discussion.

    ReplyDelete